In her mid-forties my Grandmother found herself to be a single woman again. She had children to support and in those days (late 1940's) it was not always easy for a woman to find a job. One of the many jobs she had was selling organs. People would come into the store and she would play and smile and show them how much fun it was to make music. If she sold an organ she made a commission. If she didn't sell one she would have a hard time figuring out how to feed and house her family.
One day her sisters came and noticed how incredibly tight things were for her. As they left they handed her an envelope. As she opened it she found two $20 bills--one from each of them.
Somehow my mother found a thank you letter that she wrote to them, thanking them for the money and telling them how their gift had helped her make more money.
She said "When you make your living in sales it is important to not feel desperate. If the customer senses that you MUST make this sale, they will back away. If you can show them that it is in their best interest to buy your product, and sincerely mean it, then you can make sales all day long. But if the customer thinks it is in YOUR best interest to make the sale, they will not buy."
Grandma knew the secret. Good point to remember.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree.
In our search for a second car I asked a friend if he knew anyone in the car business, hoping he could give me someone's number. He ended up giving my number to the salesman (who was a friend of his family). Within 10 minutes of receiving my number he called and left a message.
I wasn't ready to talk to him when I got home that day, but I kept his number from the message to call on my time and terms. The next day he called and left a message. And the next. We had probably 5 messages from him.
I didn't want to call him back because I felt like he was too hungry for us. I was afraid he'd end up being totally high pressure and never let us walk off his lot without a car, even if it was one we didn't want. We ended up not calling.
Post a Comment