Me, a victim? Well, in times past I have to say yes. I couldn't get certain things done because of the weather, or the government, or the kids. I couldn't have certain things because of lack of money, or time, or my genetics weren't right or whatever.
When we say we can't have or be something what we are really saying is "I am not willing to pay the price to figure out how to get what I say I want. Other things are more important to me. I'm a victim. Life is beyond my control."
Some people feel like they are victims of the past. Perhaps they had abusive parents, or peers, or had a bad marriage. These things are very real. No one would deny it.
What I have learned is that I am a creator of my current circumstances. When life throws me a curve ball I can recover and move forward. I can choose to remain a victim or I can move forward without being chained to the past.
This is close to the anniversary of the abduction of Elizabeth Smart. She was later asked if she felt like a victim. She said that her mother had told her that she could hate her abductors for the rest of her life and remain a victim, or she could forgive and move on and stop being a victim. She chose to stop being a victim.
That is an extreme case. In the past I felt like a victim of circumstances. No longer. I now know I can create my future and my present. There are always solutions. The trick is to focus on what's good about this and what are the solutions.
This is true freedom!
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment