Wednesday, March 26, 2008

God Will Give You More

A few years ago a woman knocked on my door and asked if she could clean my bathrooms. She explained in broken English that she needed to buy diapers for her baby and didn't have any money. I had $20 in my purse and it was 4 days until pay day. Normally I would have been very careful with that money, but she seemed so desparate that I told her to come on in.

In about half an hour she had my bathrooms sparkling clean with the towels looking like they were hanging in a fancy hotel, not my bathroom. I reached for my purse.

That's when she told me she was charging me $20. I was shocked. That would be $40 an hour. I just assumed she was going from house to house until she had the money she needed. I told her I thought that price was too high.

Then she said something that would change my life. She said, "My baby needs diapers now. A package costs about $20. You give me the money and God will give you more."

Well, it's hard to argue with that logic. I mean, what are you going to say? "No, He won't?"

So I handed her my last $20 and she took off. She didn't ever knock on my door again. I wouldn't recognize her if I passed her on the street. But, I will never forget her.

She was right. Before the week was out I had more money in my hand from an unexpected source. I did not lack for anything. God gave me more.

Now, when I am tempted to come from a place of scarcity instead of a place of abundance I just say to myself, "God will give me more, so be generous."

It's true, you know. So try it. There are many opportunities every day to live in abundance. For instance, on our online order forms there is a place to add $1 for children's charities. Go ahead. Add that $1 every time. After all, God will just give you more!

No comments: